[AFS3-std] DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:00:56 -0700

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> A new version of I-D, draft-allbery-afs-srv-records-00.txt has been
> successfuly submitted by Russ Allbery and posted to the IETF repository.

> Filename:	 draft-allbery-afs-srv-records
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS
> Creation_date:	 2009-10-03
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 9

David Boyes raised the excellent point that this draft doesn't talk about
TTLs.  As I suspect everyone reading this list already knows, once an
existing AFS client decides on a VLDB server to talk to, it never redoes
the DNS query and hence isn't going to honor TTLs on SRV records.

I think we have two options: document this behavior, or specify something
more fully correct that requires that the AFS client know the TTL (could
be tricky in a lot of resolver stacks) or redo the query each time it
wants to talk to the VLDB (which seems like a lot of DNS traffic).
Documenting is certainly much easier for existing implementations.

What do people think?