[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.4.9, 1.4.10 releases available

Derrick J Brashear openafs-info@openafs.org
Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:02:49 -0400 (EDT)

The OpenAFS Gatekeepers announce the availability of OpenAFS versions
1.4.9 and 1.4.10.  Source files and available binaries can be accessed via
the web at:

       http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.4.9/
       http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.4.10/

or via AFS at:

       /afs/grand.central.org/software/openafs/1.4.9/
       /afs/grand.central.org/software/openafs/1.4.10/
       \\afs\grand.central.org\software\openafs\1.4.9\
       \\afs\grand.central.org\software\openafs\1.4.10\

OpenAFS 1.4.10 is the current recommended release for all Unix
platforms; For Windows, we recommend use of the current 1.5 series release
for best performance, and we do not expect to provide OpenAFS 1.4 series
binaries for Windows.

OpenAFS 1.4.9 contains only fixes for the client issues
addressed by the security advisories OPENAFS-SA-2009-001 and
OPENAFS-SA-2009-002, while OpenAFS 1.4.10 also contains fixes for
a number of other issues, including:

Linux:
- Support for Linux through kernel 2.6.29 and prereleases of 2.6.30.
- Corrected support for some Linux VM system functionality.
- Dynamic vcache pool allocation on Linux to address issues with inotify()
   (as used by famd, beagle and other file monitor programs).

Solaris:
- Solaris cache partition-type-agnostic support for Solaris 9 and later.
- Solaris large partition support for fileservers.

All platforms:
- Fixes for shutdown issues caused by memory double-freeing.
- Support for multiple local Kerberos realms (where username space is
   identical between realms)
- Ubik database recovery issues in database servers corrected.
- Rx idle time tracking fixes.
- Corrected host tracking and hashing in the fileserver.
- Rx network stack corrected to avoid double-freeing packets due to a
   race.

Bug reports should be filed to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.

Thanks are due as usual to our dedicated team of binary builders
(Matt Benjamin, Douglas Engert, Mike Meffie, and Simon Wilkinson) without
whom the broad range of released binaries would not be possible.

Additional builds will be available for 1.4.9 in the future, however, as
the security advisories do not apply to MacOS 10.4 and MacOS 10.5, no
binaries will be provided for 1.4.9 on those platforms.

Derrick J Brashear
for the OpenAFS gatekeepers