[OpenAFS] Mapping drives on Windows, avoiding NET USE

Sam Hartman hartmans@mekinok.com
17 Jul 2001 09:11:07 -0400

    James> I'm looking into fixing Global Drive mapping for Win2k.
    James> Win9x has been patched so it supports global drive mapping
    James> also.  That is, you can start the SMB Cache Manager without
    James> needing to do an authenication.

    James> Would the following changes fix the problems with large
    James> scale installations?  Win2k - fix global drive mappings AFS
    James> Installation script looks for a files afsdcell.ini &
    James> afsdsbmt.ini to default its drive and cell mapping.

    James> I suggest we would add %username% as a special field in
    James> afsdsbmt.ini; this would be a substitute for the user login
    James> name, the substitution could either be done at the time of
    James> installation or at the time of each window's login.  I
    James> would like your feedback on what's best (the easiest is to
    James> do the substitution at installation time)?

This would work for the environments I am familiar with if you did the
substitution at login.  The substitution at install wouldn't work for
multiuser machines.

I think long term you do want a fixed machine name for afs, but I
understand you may not be able to justify the effort for that.