[OpenAFS] AFS server/cell setup tool (Linux)

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
04 Jun 2001 14:33:01 -0400

    Martin> For my needs, it would be (would have been) perfect
    Martin> supposing a MIT krb5 is already up and running. It was the
    Martin> afs integration afterwards I that I so had much problems
    Martin> with.

    Martin> The whole thing of this uncertainty "Should I really setup
    Martin> kaserver first or shouldn't I try to merge the migration
    Martin> step into the installation?", "

I think there was significant uncertainty in the community.  There
were several of us who knew we really wanted to see the world move
away from kaserver.  I prototyped a solution for Debian because I
needed it for work, but didn't really feel comfortable speaking up
strangly against kaserver because I don't have something to really
point non-Debian users at.  I suspect I ando thers weren't sure if
there was going to be people arguing that kaserver was still the right
answer.

    Martin> how does this and that is
    Martin> supposed to work then" combined with several compilation
    Martin> problems and instabilities of my linux server (I have
    Martin> switched to SUN as afs server because of this) can be
    Martin> quite irritating.

Understood.  That's why I'm starting a company trying to make this
sort of thing easier.

    Martin> Is there some site on the 'net where your approach is
    Martin> documented?
It's in the Debian packages, which isn't all that useful on a
 non-Debian system.

I have unpacked the docs directory from the Debian packages along with
the packaging scripts into  http://www.mekinok.com/~hartmans.

I suggest looking at:

* The configuration transcript
* The assorted README files
* The source to afs-newcell and afs-rootvol

I do manage to avoid subjecting the user to the build problems  or the
finding the right components problems because I'm building binary
packages and Debian has a reasonable mechanism for package location.

I do have a slightly more automated solution within the Boxed Penguin
prototype (what my company is working on), but that makes more
assumptions and sets up LDAP and some other things as well.