[OpenAFS] AFS without local authentication

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:32:19 -0500

>> But the really USEFUL bits (the part that glues it into your operating
>> system) don't seem to be available.  I never personally considered
>> Hesiod useful because it's not feasible to my mind to modify EVERY
>> application to make Hesiod calls instead of the traditional getpw*()
>> calls (and what about programs that are native to the operating system).
>
>I believe there is nsswitch code for Hesiod in glibc, so one could
>presumably rip it out of there into a separate library that possibly could
>be compiled for other operating systems that use nsswitch.

Maybe I'm confused .... but I don't think this would help, would it?  I
mean, you'd have to replace the whole C shared library for target
platforms for this to work, and somehow I don't think that's
reasonable.  Unless you're just talking about linking site-specific apps
with a library that had your own special versions of the getpwn*()
functions ... but I don't think that's good enough.

--Ken