[OpenAFS] AFS Issues

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:24:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Cosimo Leipold wrote:

> First off, wow is AFS cool. Now for my issues:
>
> 	1. Since the AFS Install my procmail is broken. Presumably this is
> because of authorization issues - procmail's docs dont seem to have info
> re AFS and I can't find much on AFS about procmail. Procmail runs but it
> cant write/modify because it isn't authenticated. Solutions?

Authenticate it. I recommend getting and installing kth-krb and using
kauth (which it comes with) for this, but of course it means leaving a
kerberos srvtab around "somewhere"

> 	2. Occasionally the AFS server dies or reboots. On the client
> machine I have I can't seem to kill afsd. killall -9 -v afsd says its
> killing them but it isn't - in fact the retain the same PID. kill -9 pid
> results in the same behavior. Attempting to use the script to "stop"
> doesn't do anything, and "starting" it just makes another 5 or 6 afsd
> processes. The only solution is to reboot the machine, at which point it
> appears to work fine.

Killing afsd is bad. If the script isn't stopping afsd, it's most likely
because you have references in /afs; Sadly starting in 2.4 it seems
fuser/lsof isn't showing all references in AFS, but since patches were
integrated a few versions ago I have been unable to make AFS not shut down
when I could establish nothing was actually referencing /afs.

> 	3. Sometimes when the AFS server dies and the afsd processes
> terminate themselves (presumably after some timeout period) I umount /afs
> then I restart afsd. It says it can't connect (error 22) but if I just
> reboot the machine it connects fine. This isn't a latency or connectivity
> issue.

the afsd processes shouldn't be terminating themselves. also, you should
unload and reload the kernel module if you restart afs. the script will do
that for you.