[OpenAFS] installing in linux..

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
29 Oct 2001 21:50:52 -0500

David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu> writes:

> Okay, I give up.  I've been looking at the docs on the open afs web site..
> and the various README's with the 1.2.2 source distribution.  I've
> configured --with-transarc-paths and make and make install(ed).  Okay, all
> the binaries are there... what next?

Did you download the docs and read the administration guide?

> Where do I put my CellServDB, ThisCell, and is there a startup script for
> starting the client?  (and where do I put my cache....)

Umm.. /usr/vice/etc.  And yes, there is..  If you use "make dest"
instead of "make install" then it will actually get installed in the
right place in the 'dest' tree.

> The docs are very frustrating to deal with for someone like me who just
> wants to install a client.

Well, perhaps you should use the pre-packaged binaries instead of
trying to build from scratch.

> This is a Caldera OL system, 2.4.2 kernel.  Previous had open-afs 1.1.1
> working but ditched it hoping to avoid the hard reset that was required
> becuase the afsd's wouldn't die when I wanted them to.

Um, I've never seen this problem -- how were you trying to kill afsd?
Note that afsd is really a kernel thread, so 'kill' doesn't do what
you think it would do.  What you really want is "umount /afs" or
better yet /etc/init.d/rc.d/afs stop.

> Any other docs?  Please?

-derek