[OpenAFS] Moving AFS {pt,vl,vol?}server

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 03:11:19 -0400

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

> In /var/lib/openafs on the original, there's to at least
> two files I'm not sure if I should copy over - 'SALVAGE.fs'
> and 'sysid' - should these be regenerated on the new machines?
>
> And another thing. Is the KeyFile byte order dependent? The
> two new machines are SPARC (sun4m), while the original is a
> dual PII 333MHz (ie Intel).
>

> I've tried to start the OpenAFS fileserver (Debian GNU/Linux
> init script 'openafs-fileserver') and I was hopping that all
> the DB servers (pt,vl)servers should have been started.
> They where not, only the bosserver started.
>
> What did I miss?

I'm not sure what "SALVAGE.fs" is -- is it a log output file?  General
rules for investigating unknown files: try "file", if it says text, try
"cat -v | more"; if binary, try using strings or "od -c".  The example
I found was empty.  Off-hand, I'd I'd guess that you don't need to move
it.

sysid should be unique per-system.  Definitely don't copy this (unless
what you want to do is merely effectively changing the IP adddress of
an existing fileserver.)

KeyFile should not be byte order dependent.  The structure is a network
byte order int32 containing the # of keys, then one or more keys each
consisting a network byte order int32 key version number, and 8 bytes
of key data.  There may be optional trailing data that is core junk -
it may look useful, but isn't.  If the original was intel, then the
native byte order is little-endian, so any deviation from what I
described should be simplicity itself to spot (using "od -c".)
On a running server, you can also do "bos listkeys <servername>"
to find out what keys that server has, plus a checksum.  These
should match across all servers (db or file) in your afs cell.

Using transarc file names, "/usr/afs/local/BosConfig" contains your bos
configuration, and describes exactly what services bossserver will
run.  OpenAFS probably stuffs this somewhere different by default.  An
empty or missing file means no services.  You can either copy the file
over & restart bosserver, or you can use "bos create" to create
instances that look like what you see on the old machine using "bos
status -long".  You probably want to get any keyfile issues
resolved before you do this.

Just out of shear and probably irrelevant curiosity, are you running
linux or solaris on the sparc machines, and what was the reason to move
from intel to sparc?

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITCS Umich Systems Group