[OpenAFS] Unable to delete volume

FBO fbo2@gmx.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:51:35 +0200

Hi again,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 01:35:13PM -0400, Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com wrote:
> > > You may need to `vos zap' the RO volume, then `vos release'.  In some
> > > cases, you will need to specify `vos zap ... -force' to get the zap to
> > > complete.
> >
> > Thank you for your quick answer, Warren.
> > Problem is, no "transaction" seems to work as long as the Volume
> > is not attached. "vos zap" doesn't want to remove a offline-volume.
>
> Hi FBO:
>
> >From the man page for vos_zap:
>
>    The -force flag removes  a  volume  even  if  it  cannot  be
>    "attached" (brought online), which can happen either because
>    the volume is extremely  damaged  or  because  the  Salvager
>    functioned  abnormally.    Without  this  flag, this command
>    cannot remove volumes that are not attachable.  See also the
>    WARNINGS section.
>
> I'm reasonably sure that I've used vos_zap with the -force flag in the
> past for volumes which could not be brought on-line.
>
> Note that you have to issue the command like this:
>
>     vos zap ganges a c.sscd.readonly -force
>
> I like to use the -verbose flag as well in these cases:
>
>     vos zap ganges a c.sscd.readonly -force -verbose

This doesn't really work:

 root@mekong:/a/a > vos zap ganges a 536870933 -force -verbose
 vos: forcibly removing all traces of volume 536870933, please wait...failed with code 2.

I'm able to remove the Volume by deleting the Vol-Header-File but
somehow the Volume stays on that partition.
After "vos remsite ganges a c.sscd.readonly" I try "vos addsite ganges a c.sscd".
It works but ganges' VolserLog shows:

 Mon Aug 26 22:22:27 2002 1 Volser: CreateVolume: Unable to create the volume; aborted, error code 103

Look what happens when I release c.sscd:

 root@mekong:/a/a > vos release c.sscd
 Failed to start a transaction on the RO volume.
 Volume needs to be salvaged
 The volume 536870932 could not be released to the following 1 sites:
 	                       ganges.alpha /vicepa
 VOLSER: release could not be completed
 Error in vos release command.
 VOLSER: release could not be completed

The Vol-Header-File is 0 bytes long after "addsite"

It's just "c.sscd". Other volumes with ro-clones on ganges can be
releases without any problems.

Does someone know how to remove a volume *completely* from a partition?

FBO