[OpenAFS] Improving collaboration

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:59:43 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Ted Anderson wrote:

> On 9 Jan 2002 21:47:06 +0100 cg@cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) wrote:
> > A Wiki is always useful (my credo as a project manager: "here's a Wiki
> > and a mailing list - use it for 6 months, if you still want more after
> > that, yell").
>
> I've long found Wiki attractive, though it was a bit confusing at first.

I found it confusing and never got past that, but it may be due to lack of
time more than anything.

> I worry a bit that the format might be a bit off-putting for potential
> contributers.  Since I share Ken's worries (see below) about getting the
> necessary support from the community, this may be an issue.  Are there
> other collaborative authoring tools that are both free-form as well as
> highly intuitive and accessible?

I know of nothing (else). Maybe Wiki is a good option.

> I'm fine with using AFS to collect and support collaboration.  But the
> web interface solves numerous problems that just shared access to flat
> files doesn't.  At the very least, we want to strongly encourage the use
> of hyperlinks, so a browser-centric approach is a must.  Then, whether
> AFS is in the background is more a question of what is convenient for
> the webmaster.

Is Wiki something that gets installed locally? If someone else wants to
volunteer to do this, fine, otherwise when I get a free minute I suppose I
could try to scare up some piece of hardware for this, at least.

> I'm trying to argue (at excessive length, I now see) that a rough tool
> would be better than no tool at all.

You'll get no argument here. Thus far no one has volunteered to do this;
It's on my list of "if no one else gets to it by when I have time I will
do it"

-D