[OpenAFS] Improving collaboration

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:01:33 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Ted Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:52:48 -0500 (EST) Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> > There's also one other possibility that hasn't been mentioned.  The
> > author of RT (our request/bug tracking system) also has a system for
> > handling documentation, called RT/FM.  I don't think it's publicly
> > available yet, but I'm willing to ask if we can give it a try.  People
> > can take a look at the RT documentation (managed by RT/FM) at
> > http://www.fsck.com/rtfm/
>
> The RT/FM system seems pretty focused on tracking problems.

Are you sure you're not confusing RT/FM with RT?  The page I pointed you
at is an instance of RT/FM; what it happens to contain is the manual for
RT.  The two systems have a very similar look, but RT/FM is _not_ RT.

> I looked at a few of the various Wiki engines[1] and there are a lot of
> them.  It looks like UseModWiki[2] might be easiest if the web server is
> already using ModPerl.  The MoinMoin engine used by Cees' PhotoWiki
> seems reasonable too, unless installing Python whould be an extra
> hassle.  We could discuss various features if there is interest in that.

Modperl is certainly available -- RT uses it -- but my investigation
suggests that, if a wiki is what people want, TWiki might be a better
choice.  For one thing, I feel uncomfortable with locking ourselves into
something that doesn't support authentication and a moderately fine
grained access control model.

Comments?