[OpenAFS] Need to Combine AFS Database & File Servers

Joseph E Ramus ramus@es.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:24:25 -0800

I currently have 6 AFS Servers,
I will refer to them as:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

1, 2, 3  are the Database Servers
4, 5, 6  are File Servers

I need to combine the Servers like this:

1. Move the Database Servers to  4, 5, 6
2. Shut down 1, 2, 3
3. Change the Name & IP addresses so that 4, 5, 6 become 1, 2, 3

Step #3 seems tricky because I will need to completely rebuild
the VLDB since every volume will be on a different host now.

How do I rebuild the VLDB in this case?

Has anyone done an upgrade of this sort?
If so, do you have a procedure description.

I understand that my AFS service will be down for several hours
while I perform this upgrade.

| Joe Ramus  ESnet, LBNL, Berkeley, CA  (510) 486-8683   ramus@es.net  |