[OpenAFS] ADSM(TSM) Backup

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 07 May 2002 10:14:01 -0700

Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> AFS backups can be done on

> * File level

This is what we're doing here at Stanford.

>   +per file restore
>   +users can do restores themselves

We haven't gotten this far in automating things yet, although we're
thinking about doing so.

>   +file access through cache manager faster than volume access
>   +you can restore to any kind of file system

>   -you need to authenticate on file level
>      one of
>        process runnig as system:administrator
>        process running as backupuser and you need to add "backupuser
>        read"everywhere

We took the second approach, as well as wrapping fs so that the version on
the typical user's PATH won't remove the backup user from the ACLs.

>   -running the client traversing volume mountpoints will not work as
>    there is no loop detection in the client
>   -running the client without traversing volume mountpoints: You need to
>    assure that all your volumes are mounted somewhere

We took the latter approach, and took the simple approach of just creating
a volume for mount points out in AFS and then mount each volume, back it
up, and then remove the mount point again.

>   -AFS functionality does not exist in all TSM clients platforms for
>    which there was AFS available from the same company.

We're doing our backups directly on the AIX backup server.