[OpenAFS] Re: mandrake 9.0 segmentation fault

Troy Dawson dawson@fnal.gov
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 09:31:11 -0500

This is just throwing my two cents along with my experience.
I was able to recompile the 1.2.6 rpm's for Mandrake 9.0, and 8.2 without any
problem other than turning off the kerberos, and taking out the SuidCells.
(We already have a kerberos package with aklog in it, so we didn't need it,
and I have no idea what the SuidCells does)  I had started with the RedHat 7.3
srpm.
I found that the first time I ran AFS, and the first time I went into an AFS
area I had very long lags.  I suppose this was it loading everything into the
cache, but then after I was there, everything was as quick as afs normally is.

The machines I had these run on were
Mandrake 8.2 - Pentium 4 - 1.6 Ghz
Mandrake 9.0 - Pentium III - 450 Mhz - two processors
Both have stock kernels.

Though I can't say everything has been perfect.  Both of them seem to loose
contact with the servers periodically, causing either long lags or a complete
inability to use AFS.  One of them (the Mandrake 9.0) will loose contact with
the AFS server even though my redhat machine, on same switch, in same home
area, doesn't.

Troy Dawson
p.s. If anyone wants more details, I can send them.
Troy Dawson  dawson@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group