[OpenAFS] cache performance

Lawrence Greenfield leg+@andrew.cmu.edu
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:57:03 -0500

   From: Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
   Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:49:26 -0500
[...]
   I think a better mechanism would be to have the fileserver maintain
   this information in memory, and to query it (and reset it)
   periodically, via a new RPC.  Then, I can ask for this data as often
   as I want, once a day, or maybe once an hour, if I need to do finer
   grained analysis.

I've had some success instrumenting applications to return performance
related information via SNMP. This makes it easy to integrate those
applications with existing monitoring/graphing applications.

Normally I do this by creating a Net-SNMP agentx subagent.

The major downside (of course there's a downside or three!) is that
SNMP security isn't widely deployed (and the most widely deployed
varieties are damn annoying).

Larry