[OpenAFS] AFS access at home

Brian Cashman bsc@merit.edu
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:27:57 -0500

I'm having a problem with AFS access on a Windows 2000 laptop at home.
In my case I'm running version 1.2.8 a on my W2K service pack 3 laptop.
At work I have no trouble with AFS. I can get tokens and happily access
AFS files.

At home however, the AFS service apparently starts but when I try to get
tokens I get the following message:

The AFS client was unable to obtain tokens as bsc in cell.merit.net.
Error: 11862791 (AFS service may not have started)

The AFS service does appear to be started but try as I might I cannot
get tokens. In case it makes a difference I'm on a cable modem (i.e.,
Ethernet).

I discovered, somewhat out of desperation, that if I login to my
workstation directly rather than login to the domain then I am able to
get tokens. Why should this be?

Is there a way to get AFS to work remotely without having to log into
the local workstation?

Thanks,
      Brian Cashman
      Merit