[OpenAFS] backup software (TSM/Veritas/TiBS, what else?)

Tracy Di Marco White afs-info@gendalia.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:04:40 -0500

I manage Iowa State University's afs cell, and for the last decade plus
we've been using one tape drive per file server, and the afs backup and
butc commands (with local scripts) to do backups.  We're looking at
getting a tape library and software of some sort to do backups, so I'm
trying to find out what works reasonably well with AFS.

What can people tell me about these choices, what other choices do
people have experience with?

TSM was supported by AFS (rather than TSM supports AFS) in the last
official release, am I correct in assuming that support is still in
OpenAFS?  Is it limited to specific versions of TSM, or would I be
likely to find problems using the latest versions of TSM?  My file
servers are a mix of Digital Unix 4.0D & 4.0F, Solaris 2.7 & 8.  One
URL I found suggested that the tape coordinator (buta?) had to run
on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 or AIX 4.2 or higher.  Have these requirements
changed to include later versions of Solaris, or any other operating
systems?

Veritas seems to have dropped support for AFS, but it might still work.
What experience do people have with this, what kind of changes are
necessary to your cell to make it work?

We've been trying out TiBS, and it seems to work reasonably well.

I think some people added support to amanda for AFS, but I don't know
much about that.

UMR's backup system looks pretty neat, allowing users to do their
own restores, and expiring things as needed.

What other options should I be looking into?  What problems do people
have with their backup choices, what do they find neat about what
they're using?  Any experiences people would care to share?

-Tracy