[OpenAFS] Z:\ is not in the global hierarchy

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 03:50:36 -0500 (EST)

My turn with the bait (and a small amount of useful info)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Rodney M Dyer wrote:

> and never the two shall meet (if Microsoft has its way).  When AFS was
> ported to Windows it had to be "screwed"

AFS was screwed long before it was ported to Windows.

> The AFS client service under windows simply emulates a SMB server so that
> you can "net use" to it like any other Microsoft server network
> share.  This means it is very simple to install as it requires no kernel

If it's so simple, why do we get so many questions about it? It's neck and
neck with Linux.

> Googling around the net at one time in the past I believe I saw a thread
> about some people at MIT (Paul Hill's group?) were working to make the SMB
> sharename look something like "\\AFS\cell".  I don't know what ever became
> of this effort and I don't believe it is worth it in the end.

Supposedly they're going to be dropping what code can be released from
their efforts back to OpenAFS. No timeline. Vaguely recall this is one
piece of it. Don't hate them on the basis of anything I say, my mind is
leaking and I may have details wrong.