[OpenAFS] RO v. RW path not behaving on setup

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> > > 2.4.21-pre2, which ran stable and flawlessly for months before I
> > > accidently nuked the /vicepa partition.  Never had a shutdown problem.
> >
> > Well, it only happens when you mount a RW root.afs and then replicate it,
> > or at least that was the only time I could make it happen.
>
> So, you do not recommend replicating root.afs then?  Given that I only
> have a single server, should _anything_ be replicated?

No, I recommend that you replicate root.afs and immediately reboot. You're
trying too hard to find a problem where, and it's one you'll see only when
bootstrapping, if then.

> > > Color me confused, then.  Previously, as a user I never needed to go into
> > > the /afs/.my_cell explicitly to create/write a file.  Assuming that I have
> > > the correct permissions, I would simply go to /afs/my_cell/blah, blah and
> > > write.  Per the documentation, I assumed the cache manager was silently
> > > accessing the rw volume in such cases.
> >
> > Sure. *Your directory* isn't replicated, so the right thing happens.
>
> I left out that step, but yes it was replicated.  Still, as mentioned in
> my earlier posting I was forced to explicitly point down the /afs/.my_cell
> hierarchy as a user.

Replicating your home directory doesn't do what you want. We know that.
Don't do it, and you won't have that problem.