[OpenAFS] networking thought/question

Nathan Ward nward@esphion.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:51:36 +1200

I have a similar thing, with gig-e fibre.
I use linux, but hey.

I have (fs1)10.0.1.1/24 and (fs2)10.0.1.2/24 as the fileserver IP's
(available to the rest of the network), and (fs1)10.0.0.1/30 and
(fs2)10.0.0.2/30 available over the inter-server link.
I add a router to (fs1)10.0.1.1 over (fs1)10.0.0.1 and a route to
(fs2)10.0.1.2 over (fs2)10.0.0.2.

It seems to work for me.
My client machines occasionally complain that they can't get to the fs's
on 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, this could be resolved by adding routes to
10.0.0.1 over 10.0.1.1 and to 10.0.0.2 over 10.0.1.2.

This would also work without adding the extra routes on the servers, by
putting the IP addresses for the other file server into the hosts file.
IE fs1:/etc/hosts has an entry for fs2 at 10.0.0.2, and vice versa. I think.

Nathan Ward