[OpenAFS] AFS Client for Linux trying to contact server at localhost instead of address in CellServDB

Eggert, Richard W, II (Rich), GVSOL rweggert@att.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:26:25 -0500

The first one bounced, so I'll try this again with different =
settings....

time trying to install the software myself.  I've run into a problem =
that has me stumped, and I'm wondering if someone could give me some =
advice.
>=20
> Here's the scenario:
>=20
> I've set up an AFS cell (using a bogus Internet domain name as my cell =
name) for sharing my personal files among my home computers (yes, I know =
it's overkill).  After much banging my head against the wall, I managed =
to install the client and server software on an Athlon machine running =
Red Hat Linux 9, located at 192.168.1.103 on my home network (which uses =
a Linksys wireless router as its gateway to my cable Internet =
connection).  The client software seems to be playing nicely with the =
server (I'm able to access the mounted volumes as well as authenticate). =
 It may not be relevant, but I will also note that I ran into problems =
getting BOS to load runntp (I think it may have been conflicting with =
another time server process installed with Linux by default), so I =
disabled it.  This machine is the only server on the network.
>=20
> I installed the client software (using all the relevant rpm's from the =
website except the server, krb5, and src ones) on another machine =
running Red Hat Linux 8 at 192.168.1.100.  To simplify debugging, I =
backed up the sample CellServDB file on the client and replaced it with =
just the following, which is essentially identical to what's on the =
server:
>=20
> >richard_eggert.comcast.net             #My cell
> 192.168.1.103                                   #192.168.1.103
>=20
> I also updated ThisCell appropriately.
>=20
> However, the initialization script fails to mount /afs.  I found the =
following in /var/log/messages:
>=20
> Oct  3 01:06:39 localhost kernel: afs: Lost contact with file server =
127.0.0.1 i
> n cell richard_eggert.comcast.net
> Oct  3 01:06:39 localhost kernel: afs: Lost contact with file server =
127.0.0.1 i
> n cell richard_eggert.comcast.net
>=20
>=20
> I have absolutely no idea why it would be trying to access a file =
server at the localhost IP address, and therefore don't know how to fix =
it.