[OpenAFS] Encryption

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:49:07 -0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:03:12AM -0500, Michael Robokoff wrote:
> I am looking for information on open-afs and what if any encryption
> it supports. For example:
>
> Can you set open-afs so all data written to the disk is encrypted?

Not to my knowledge but I could just be ignorant.

Note that openafs writes data to disk in two places, on the server
and in the client-side cache.

You could use some sort of os-level encrypted filesystem driver on
the server.  Probably on the client too, but the client needs
to have a standard filesystem (ufs on solaris, ext2 on linux, etc).
So i guess it would have to be device-level encryption.

Windows client is implemnted differently but i think it boils down
to the same thing.

> Can you set open-afs so it encrypts data as it is transmitted between
> client and server?

yes.  run fs setcrypt on client.  this is a per-client setting.

I don't think the encryption used is particularly strong by modern
standards but I don't know the details.

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office