[OpenAFS] windows client loopback address

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:58:41 -0400

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 09:41:01AM -0700, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>    rundll32.exe <path>\afsloopback.dll doLoopBackEntry AFS
> 10.254.254.253 255.255.255.252

So one of my users ran into a problem the other day that was caused by
the loopback adapter being installed with a large netmask, i think it
was all of net 10.  This collided with the address space assigned them
by whatever NAT they were sitting behind.

Obviously the immediate fix was to choose a more unlikely address
with a reasonable netmask for the loopback.

however, my users travel everywhere with their laptops, and who knows
what some network might use the private address space for (and which little
dank corner thereof).  If i pick wisely from the private address space,
i'm unlikely to cause them problems, but...

it occurs to me that the "right" thing to do here might be for someone
to allocate a routable /30 that will never be used for anything that
everyone could use for this.  I don't have full control over my IP space,
and said space is going to change in the next few months so i'm not a
good candidate.

Or am i being too paranoid and this is just a non-issue?

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office