Practical no. of files per dir was: [OpenAFS] Max number of files in volume?

rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu
Thu, 20 May 2004 13:09:47 -0500

I think the max is (also?) a function of file name length.  At
least I have email indicating the old transarc "afsqa" doc reads...

 Q.  How many files can you have per directory in AFS?

 A.  You can have 64,000 files in an AFS directory if the filenames are all
 less than 16 characters long. If the filenames are between 16 and 32
 characters than this number decreases. There are 64,000 slots per
 directory. Each file < 16 Characters takes 1 slot. Each file > 16 and <
 32 takes 2 slots, etc...

Has http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Support/afs/afsqa/general.html
been lost forever??  (I coulnd't find it at ibm's web pages just
now.)

steve
- - -
systems & network guy