[OpenAFS] how to restore data from multiple incremental dumps

Hans-Gunther Borrmann hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:56:48 +0100

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 00:57, Tom Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have OpenAFS 1.2.111-rhel3.0.1  on Redhat Linux 3.0.1. Since there is =
no
> direct TSM client available, we are using butc to dump data to local disk
> backup data file and then archiving to TSM server using TSM B/A client.
>
> We are taking full dump on Saturday and differentail incremental dumps on
> Mon,Tues,Wed,Thursday.
>
> /dev0sat  expires in  17d
>     /dev0mon  expires in  16d
>         /dev0tues  expires in  15d
>             /dev0wed  expires in  14d
>                 /dev0thur  expires in  13d
>
> How to restore data dumped on Wednesday? Accodrding to documents
>
> backup volrestore -server <servername> -partition <partion name>
>            -volume <volsetname> -portoffset a b c d
>
> where port offset "a"   points to  fulldump backup data file
>                              "b" points to incremental backup data file=20
> (Monday) "c" points to subsequent incremental data file (tuesday) "d"
> points to subsequent incremental data file (wednesday)

In which document did you find that information? The AFS administrator=20
reference says:

backup volrestore -server <destination=A0machine>
                  -partition <destination=A0partition>
                  -volume <volume(s)=A0to=A0restore>+ =20
                  [-extension <new=A0volume=A0name=A0extension>]
                  [-date <date=A0from=A0which=A0to=A0restore>+]
                  [-portoffset <TC=A0port=A0offsets>+]  [-n]
                  [-localauth]  [-cell <cell=A0name>]  [-help]
  =20
backup volr -s <destination=A0machine>  -pa <destination=A0partition>
            -v <volume(s)=A0to=A0restore>+  [-e <new=A0volume=A0name=A0exte=
nsion>]
            [-d <date=A0from=A0which=A0to=A0restore>+]  [-po <TC=A0port=A0o=
ffsets>+]
            [-n]  [-l]  [-c <cell=A0name>]  [-h]

 -date=20
Specifies a date and optionally time; the restored volume includes data fro=
m=20
dumps performed before the date only. Provide a value in the format mm/dd/
yyyy [hh:MM], where the required mm/dd/yyyy portion indicates the month (mm=
),=20
day (dd), and year (yyyy), and the optional hh:MM portion indicates the hou=
r=20
and minutes in 24-hour format (for example, the value 14:36 represents 2:36=
=20
p.m.). If omitted, the time defaults to 59 seconds after midnight (00:00:59=
=20
hours).=20

Valid values for the year range from 1970 to 2037; higher values are not va=
lid=20
because the latest possible date in the standard UNIX representation is in=
=20
=46ebruary 2038. The command interpreter automatically reduces any later da=
te=20
to the maximum value.=20

If this argument is omitted, the Backup System restores all possible dumps=
=20
including the most recently created.=20

Note:
A plus sign follows this argument in the command's syntax statement because=
 it=20
accepts a multiword value which does not need to be enclosed in double quot=
es=20
or other delimiters, not because it accepts multiple dates. Provide only on=
e=20
date (and optionally, time) definition.=20

=2Dportoffset=20
Specifies one or more port offset numbers (up to a maximum of 128), each=20
corresponding to a Tape Coordinator to use in the operation. If there is mo=
re=20
than one value, the Backup System uses the first one when restoring the ful=
l=20
dump of each volume, the second one when restoring the level 1 incremental=
=20
dump of each volume, and so on. It uses the final value in the list when=20
restoring dumps at the corresponding depth in the dump hierarchy and all=20
dumps at lower levels.=20

Provide this argument unless the default value of 0 (zero) is appropriate f=
or=20
all dumps. If 0 is just one of the values in the list, provide it explicitl=
y=20
in the appropriate order.=20

=2D-=20
Hans-Gunther Borrmann <hans-gunther.borrmann@rz.uni-freiburg.de>