[OpenAFS] Pro's & Con's of /usr/local on AFS....

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:22:33 -0500

Todd M. Lewis wrote:

> Joshua Johnson wrote:
>  > So, at the risk of starting something here, I am going to ask what other
>
>> peoples experiences are with placing /usr/local in AFS and sharing
>> among machines of same @sys type (much like the AdminGuide suggests).

Rather then /usr/local we  have a /usr/afsws/local  where
/usr/afsws -> /afs/anl.gov/@sys/usr/afsws. We have a local volume
for each arch.

Users then just add /usr/afsws/local/bin in their path.

We use depot to populate local volume with symlinks into AFS.
This does require us to build the packages and to use --prefix and
DESTDIR= to get all package references to point into AFS, but depot
has made this quite easy.

For security realted or packages including shared libs, we have these
local on a machine.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory