[OpenAFS] help: klog: error reading cell database

Patrick Gardner pgardner@nd.edu
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:10:41 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Patrick Gardner wrote:
>
>> I am running debian testing with kernel 2.4.27, and am having a
>> problem using openafs as a normal user. I have compiled and installed
>> openafs-modules-source, and installed openafs-client,
>> libpam-openafs-session, etc., and the module loads and the daemons
>> start fine at startup. As root, I can then run klog and log in to the
>> AFS server without a problem, but as a normal user, I get this error
>> message:
>>
>> klog: error reading cell database Can't get local cell name!
>>
>> This seems to be a permissions problem, but I don't know where: I've
>> chmoded CellServDB and ThisCell in /etc/openafs but that didn't work.
>

> strace klog and see what files it's actually trying to read?

Ahah! Got it -- as root klog looks for /etc/openafs, which is
auto-created at install, but as normal user it looks for
/usr/local/etc/openafs, which is NOT. Having copied CellServDB and
ThisCell over there, all is well.

Many thanks.