[OpenAFS] [FOR TESTING] OpenAFS 1.3.81 RPMs for RHEL4 (i386, x86_64)

Christopher Allen Wing wingc@engin.umich.edu
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

I sent this to openafs-devel last Friday; I'm re-sending it to
openafs-info in case there are more people interested on this list.

I made some preliminary RPMs of the latest development release of OpenAFS
for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. I tried to stay as close as possible to
the existing RPMs currently distributed by openafs.org (based on 1.2.13).

If you are interested in testing these packages, you can download them
from:

	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/openafs/dist/1.3.81

I compiled them for both the i386 version of RHEL4, and x86_64
(AMD64/Opteron/Intel EM32T/whatever).

Again, I tried to stay close to the existing 1.2.13 RPMs where possible;
some of the changes that I did make include:

- since the PAM module is no longer built by default in openafs 1.3, it
isn't included

- added the DCE binaries that get built into a separate RPM package

- support x86_64, and put libraries in the correct path (/lib64)

- modified the init script to load the libafs module by name instead of
looking at symbol versions; the name of the module is now more consistent
with the Red Hat kernel version naming

- included the man pages; I know they are out of date, maybe someone will
be inspired to update them at some point.

We (U-M College of Engineering) migrated from kaserver to MIT krb5 last
summer; in the process I did some work on the afs-krb5 migration kit. I
included various patches that came out of this into these RPMs.

The RPMs also include all the programs from the afs-krb5 kit, not just
aklog. (there is a fakeka binary which should work with the existing RHEL4
krb5 server RPMs)

I also made two patches against openafs-1.3.81 to fix bugs. I will work on
getting these into the openafs source tree; for the time being they are
not yet portable patches so they probably aren't appropriate to apply yet.

See:

	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/openafs/dist/1.3.81/SOURCES/openafs-1.3.81-afsdb.patch
	http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~wingc/openafs/dist/1.3.81/SOURCES/openafs-1.3.81-seqfile.patch

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how these RPMs work out, and if
they would be suitable for use in upcoming OpenAFS releases.

Thanks,

Chris Wing
wingc@engin.umich.edu