[OpenAFS] Problems with OpenAFS 1.3.79 and Kernel 2.11.5

Björn Ruberg bjoern@ruberg-wegener.de
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:58:12 +0200

Hello,

I have to integrate Gentoo-Linux-PCs in an existing AFS cell.
I did the great mistake to believe, that I can handle it to get afs working on
kernel 2.6.
Switching back to 2.4 is not that easy, so I hope somebody can help me.

I installed OpenAFS 1.3.79 as 1.3.80 didn't compile on the system.
At the first look it worked and I was able to use afs together with kernel
2.6.11.
The first problem appeared, but it seemed acceptable.

Problem 1: AFS breaks shutdown. Unmounting the caching-Partition
on /usr/vice/cache always fails. Moreover the libafs-module is not unload
able. I cannot kill the afs processes.

After using AFS on that machines I discoverd, that it is not working stable.
Problem 2: When I try to copy several hundreds of KBs onto the server, it just
stops and the process can only be killed by force. When that happens the
first time, I can still read from the AFS server. But after some minutes even
that just freezes and AFS just works again after reboot.
It's not just AFS, the affected user is not able to write on the harddisk
anymore.

Both problems occur with OpenAFS 1.3.79 and 1.3.81.
Problem 3: OpenAFS 1.3.81 compiles fine, but it breaks the system. All the
time the system complines about a missing libary libafs_pam.so.1 .
I don't know how to solve that either.

So please, before really begin to hate AFS help me.

Thanks :)