[OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed over the net

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:48:01 -0700

In previous tests with 1.3.84 Windws client:
a 2 CPU 2.8GHz P4 client running at 80% on both processors (on the same die,
not a dual CPU box) loaded a dedicated 100BT net to about 35% transferring
files from a 1.2.11 server to the 1.3.84 Win client local drive.

I did increase the cleint thread and process settings..
tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-info-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-info-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Jeffrey Altman
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 4:39 PM
To: Frank Burkhardt
Cc: OpenAFS-info@openafs.org
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS speed over the net

Frank Burkhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 05:02:53AM +0300, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>
>>The Windows client defaults to using encryption while the
>>Linux client does not.   That is the most likely cause of the
>>difference.
>

> AFAIK Lars uses Debian and the Debian OpenAFS init-script runs 'fs
> setcrypt on' by default after starting the client.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

Then I would look at the network configuration of the Windows
box.   Using two very different hardware configurations on 100mbit/sec
full duplex lans I am able to fully saturate the network at below
30% cpu utilization.   So I am fairly sure the issue is not entirely
related to the windows client.

Jeffrey Altman