[OpenAFS] Disk cache not updating

Brian Huntley bhuntley@clarkson.edu
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:17:54 -0500

--=_alternative 004E87D685256F85_=

Hello everyone...

I can't seem to find anything on this particular type of cache problem, so
hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

We recently put into production a webserver whose document root is in AFS.
 During the development of this system, we never had an issue with the AFS
client keeping it's cache current with what was on the server.  Since it's
been put into production, however, we are finding that we frequently must
use fs flushvol to keep the cache up to date with the AFS server's version
of volumes.  It seems that the volumes most heavily hit by apache are the
ones that most often need a flush to stay current.

I can only hypothesize that this is therefore a transaction/load related
issue.  The webserver itself is virtually idle, but serves tens of
thousands of requests per day.

We're running RedHat Enterprise 3, Update 3 and the latest OpenAFS rpm
available for it.

Any thoughts?

TIA!
-b
--
Brian T. Huntley, Manager of Network Operations
Office of Information Technology

--=_alternative 004E87D685256F85_=

particular type of cache problem, so hopefully someone can point me in
the right direction.</font>
whose document root is in AFS. &nbsp;During the development of this system,
we never had an issue with the AFS client keeping it's cache current with
what was on the server. &nbsp;Since it's been put into production, however,
we are finding that we frequently must use fs flushvol to keep the cache
up to date with the AFS server's version of volumes. &nbsp;It seems that
the volumes most heavily hit by apache are the ones that most often need
a flush to stay current.</font>
therefore a transaction/load related issue. &nbsp;The webserver itself
is virtually idle, but serves tens of thousands of requests per day.</font>
3 and the latest OpenAFS rpm available for it.</font>
Brian T. Huntley, Manager of Network Operations<br>
Office of Information Technology<br>
Clarkson University<br>
bhuntley@clarkson.edu -- 315.268.6723<br>
&quot;UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends
are.&quot;<br>
--=_alternative 004E87D685256F85_=--