[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.0: cache on loopback?

Todd L Miller tlmiller@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:45:34 -0600 (CST)

 	I'm trying to run OpenAFS on an SGI Altix 330 (IA-64, SuSE
Enterprise 9.3, Linux 2.6.5 plus patches).  The root filesystem is XFS and
afsd doesn't like trying to run a cache on it.  I'm having some strange
problems with memcache*, and resizing XFS is a royal pain, so I was hoping
I could run the AFS cache out of a loopback-mounted ext2 or ext3
filesystem.  I can't think of a reason why this /wouldn't/ work (although
it might be slow), but I wanted to ask before I tried it, in case
something strange were to happen.  Thanks.

- Todd Miller

*: '/usr/vice/etc/afsd -memcache -fakestat -stat 300 -dcache 100 -daemons
2 -volumes 50 -afsdb -dynroot'; unfortunately, I didn't capture the exact
session before I lost it to terminal scrolling, but if I recall correcty,
'rmdir' claimed a directory didn't exist, and 'rm' refused to remove it
because it was a directory.  Using 'rmdir' from a different (non-memcache)
machine removed the directory, and the machine having the problem
recognizes the new directory (symlink) just fine.