[OpenAFS] FC3 network install with OpenAFS rpms

Ron Croonenberg ronc@DePauw.edu
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:46:17 EST

Hello all,

I install/upgrade etc. a bunch of linux machines using pxe/tftp/nfs with kickstart. with the earlier
versions of OpenAFS it was easy.

I pxe booted the machines, used kickstart with the nfs way of installing things including the OpenAFS
rpm's for the client install.

However, the newer versions of the OpenAFS rpms check to see what kernel they are running on and if it
isn't the correct one they refuse to install. I could update the kernel in kickstart first of course but
then I have to reboot the machines because the OpenAFS rpm's look at what kernel is running.

Is there a way around it ?

install: 2.6.12-1.667_FC3
updated kernel: 2.6.12-1.1381_FC3
openafs kernel module: openafs-kernel-1.4.0-2.6.12_1.1378_FC3_1.i686

Could I get away with installing first:
openafs-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386
then install an older kernelmodule
then: openafs-client-1.4.0-fc3.1.i386.

then update the kernel while doing a kickstart install

after that copy the openafs.ko compiled somewhere else.
run depmod

kickstart is done, reboot and keep my fingers crossed ?

thanks,

Ron

 Romance analysis like Quantum Mechanic observations subsumes
 the unavoidable drawback of an irreversible influence on the
 subjects as predicted by the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen effect.
 Ron Croonenberg                   | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Technology Coordinator            | Fax:   1 765 658 4732

 Department of ComputerScience     | e-mail : ronc@DePauw.edu
 DePauw University                 |
 275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
 602 South College Ave.            |