[OpenAFS] CopyOnWrite failed: Partition ... may be out of free inodes(errno = 2)

Alf Wachsmann alfw@slac.stanford.edu
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:15:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Alf Wachsmann wrote:
> > Is this considered a bug and will be fixed eventually or is it a
> > "feature" of the namei file server?
>
> I consider it a bug but it's only really of interest to use the RO on a
> different partition than RW when you have only one server in a cell, and
> only then if you have multiple disks in the server. It's not really on top
> of the list of usage cases.

My concern here is not planned and deliberate action but accidents:

I need to evacuate RW volumes from server2 onto server1 which already
has a RO copy of some volumes somewhere. I overlook those RO volumes and
move the RW volumes onto some other partition of that server.
What if server1 now needs to be rebooted and the volumes need to be
attached during the startup process. This will fail according to your
earlier mail. Am I screwed now?

-- Alf.

  Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
  SLAC - Scientific Computing         | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
  2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
  Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)