[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and Oracle (Support/Certification)?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:10:52 -0800

Robert Sturrock <rns@unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> Since the use of AFS relies on loading a kernel module, we are concerned
> that there will be support problems with Oracle.  They regard a kernel
> with an unsupported kernel module as "tainted".  Whilst we will
> endeavour to work through this with Oracle, I was wondering if other
> sites are running OpenAFS on systems that also run Oracle?  If so, have
> there been any support issues with Oracle, or indeed any issues with
> stability on Oracle hosts that could be pinned-down specifically to AFS?

Yup, we run AFS on all of our systems, including all of our Oracle
database servers, both Linux and Solaris.  We haven't had any trouble with
stability since Oracle fixed their installer bug that would freak out
about the AFS file system (probably more than a decade ago, and that was
only an installer bug due to bad code to detect available file systems),
and we've not had any trouble with Oracle supporting us.