[OpenAFS] Re: retaining AFS-specific nameless group IDs (PAG) in `id' and `groups'

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:08:09 -0400

In message <871w4waj0o.fsf@rho.meyering.net>,Jim Meyering writes:
>Maybe you can help (this may save you trouble in terms of
>avoided regressions later ;-):
>
>  - how can I detect (in Perl or Bourne shell) whether the
>  current system is AFS-enabled?

there is currently no single method.  at one point, afs patched the
syscall table to present the necessary ioctl but now it creates a
a special /proc entry, /proc/fs/openafs/afs_ioctl, when the syscall
table cant be patched.

>  - is there always exactly one PAG?

currently, a process can only belong to a single PAG.

and ealier someone asked (perhaps Didi <ribalba@gmail.com>):

> If someone can provide code to determine efficiently
> whether a nameless GID is a PAG then we can probably
> make everyone happy.  If that happens, I'll need to
> know if there's a standard or accepted mapping from
> GID to PAG group name.  Pointers to unencumbered code
> would be welcome.

with the keyring code, PAG's are no longer exposed to the user
as a number.  however, in the older group based PAG support, the
PAG id is encoded as:

	('A' << 24) + (pagCounter++ & 0xffffff));

but this is split across two groups, given that most gids are
still 16 bits in most places.  the relevant code here is:

    g0 -= 0x3f00;
    g1 -= 0x3f00;
    if (g0 < 0xc000 && g1 < 0xc000) {
        l = ((g0 & 0x3fff) << 14) | (g1 & 0x3fff);
        h = (g0 >> 14);
        h = (g1 >> 14) + h + h + h;
        ret = ((h << 28) | l);
        if (((ret >> 24) & 0xff) == 'A')
            return ret;
     }
    return NOPAG;

so a pag group will be atleast > 0x3f00 and after you get the value for
ret, you should verify that the upper 8 bits are an 'A'.  g0 and g1
should always be 'next' to each other in the group list.