[OpenAFS] Win2K AFS server, mirror data+config to RHEL4.5 new Server?

avison48 avison48@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:27:47 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you very much for responding.

> Your server OS is Windows 2000.  What is the AFS Server
> version?

IBM AFS v3.5 (works great)

> > Our KDC is a Windows server managed by someone else who wants to upgrad=
> > it, which will probably break krb to the Win2K AFS server.
>
> Why do you believe this to be true?

The KDC/Microsoft SysAdmin knows more about Kerberos than I, & knew
the former admin who built the Win2K AFS server & did tweaking of it; he's
pretty sure his planned upgrade on the KDC will break this win2K AFS hacked
kerberos. So he strongly advises migrating AFS to another platform, & our
standard (now) is SL4.5. Seems a good idea to retire a Win2K server anyway.

His KDC is currently Win2003, I'm not sure what he wants to upgrade.
But he's quite sure the tweaked kerberos used by the Win2K server will brea=
k.

All How-to AFS-server doc found so far seems to expect the AFS admin is
full KDC admin (and on Unix too). But I have no access to our microsoft=20
KDC - am 'just a customer' of it.

> > I found a KeyFile on the Win2K AFS server (type data),
>
> The KeyFile is the AFS file that contains the AFS keys.
> All servers in the AFS cell must have a copy of it.  This is not a keytab
> file.

Thank you for that info! What is done then with the type=3Ddata Keyfile fro=
a Win2K IBM AFS 3.5 server on an SL4.5 mirrored AFS server?

Is it possible to setup a secondary AFS server 'peer' or 'mirror'??
Does anyone know or can point to any info?
There is doc on how to build a secondary database server, but will that
have 'everything' to take over so the first server can be shut down?

Otherwise the SL4.5 server needs to be built in a wholly test AFS domain
then rebuilt in a maint outage as 'real' server.

Should the standard path be /etc/openafs, or /usr/afs as the rpm installs?

Very grateful for any help!
=0A=0ASend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yaho=
o.com