[OpenAFS] OpenSuse 10.2 performace issue

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:44:31 -0700

Mazniza A Lin <linm@us.ibm.com> writes:

> We have a intel 64 bit machine that runs OpenSuSE 10.2 and have openafs
> install.  The machine will work just fine initially after reboot. After
> a few hours it started to slow down. ls command took about 10 a seconds
> to complete. When we look into /var/log/messages we see the following
> error.  The problem went away after reboot and comes back a few hours
> later.
>
> Has anyone saw this and have a fix for it or a workaround.
>
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap syslog-ng[3070]: Changing permissions on special
> file /dev/xconsole
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap syslog-ng[3070]: Changing permissions on special
> file /dev/tty10
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP
> server - Server is unavailable
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb1: Can't contact LDAP server
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb2: Can't contact LDAP server
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb3: Can't contact LDAP server
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb1: Can't contact LDAP server
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb2: Can't contact LDAP server
> Jun  3 14:14:36 bikerlap dbus-daemon: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP
> server ldap://afsdb3: Can't contact LDAP server

AFS does not provide an LDAP service.  If those servers are AFS database
servers, as their names indicate, rather than LDAP servers, that NSS
configuration isn't going to work.

Maybe you wanted a PTS NSS module instead?