[OpenAFS] Basic OpenAFS questions

outsider aonsen@gmail.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:26:30 -0700 (PDT)

I'm considering using OpenAFS on my home system/LAN, but have a few questions
first (things thate not quite clear) before I take the plunge.

1. Is AFS a tool that is used on top of existing file systems? Do I still
format my partition with ext3 and then add it to OpenAFS ? Or does the
partition get formated using the OpenAFS FS?

2. On a setup with multiple drives/shares/partitions how does OpenAFS manage
where data gets written? Does it fill up one volume before moving on the
next? Does it spread the data evenly between all the volumes?

3. If I remove a drive from the OpenAFS system, will that drive still be
readable on it's own? (I guess this will be answered by question 1)

Thank you.
a.