[OpenAFS] New to OpenAFS

billbaird3 billbaird3@gmail.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm new to OpenAFS and was hoping if the community could help me determine
if it would be a good fit for my company. We are approx 150 people, with 50
home users and the rest in small offices of about 10-15 people. I would like
to have a main file server that everyone can access, but also departmental
servers in offices that would allow people to save files quickly (without
going over the WAN).

In my dream scenario, I would have one main server in our data center that
stores everything and is backed up. Each office would have a server that
acts as a caching server. These servers would cache specific folders that
are often used by the people in that specific office...any times changes are
made, it is saved on that server and then transferred to the main server in
the background. This would allow users in branch offices to have fast access
to files and not have to wait for WAN transfers. And would prevent the admin
team from backing up every department's server. Is this possible with
OpenAFS? I read something about a Samba/OpenAFS gateway, would this be
required? Or are there other products that you think might be a better fit?

Also, is the windows desktop client used a lot of most deployments? How
reliable is this?

Thanks for the help!

--Bill