[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Mike Garrison mcgarr@umich.edu
Mon, 26 May 2008 14:47:38 -0400

On May 26, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Robert Banz wrote:

>> fileserver:
>> -p 128 ( maximum number of threads )
>> -vattach # (greater than 1. should this be equal the number of
>> partitions)
>> -large
>> -cb # (1 million or more callbacks)
>> no fastrestart
>> more fun options with using demand-attach
>
> WHY, pray tell, are we recommending against fastrestart? I think
> this has been one of the best options in OpenAFS to come along. Is
> it just a misunderstanding of what it does?

 From the conference:
Why Derrick doesn't use fastrestart
1) You have to have something parse logfiles and salvage it
2) If you're running an inode fileserver, every time you salvage you
crawl all of the inodes. You salvage 10 volumes, you're going through
10*<number of inodes>
--
Mike Garrison