[OpenAFS] openafs and tivoli backup client

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:03:14 -0700

Vladimir Konrad <v.konrad@lse.ac.uk> writes:

> Do you know a way to persuade IBM Tivoli client to do backup of openafs
> file-system?

Not any more.  Tivoli dropped support for AFS.  We have old binaries that
we're still using because they've not broken the API (yet), but I don't
think we're allowed to give them out, and they're not really a long-term
solution for anyone anyway.

Our long-term intention, assuming that we can get the resources in the
current financial climate, is to sponsor or help sponsor development of
NDMP support in the AFS fileserver.

> Currently, I do vos dump on each volume, compress that and the result
> goes to tapes. But most of the data does not change and it takes very
> large chunk of space in the backup vault.

Have you already done the optimization of not doing a vos dump unless the
volume modify timestamp has changed since the last time you did one?

Also, note that vos dump can do incrementals.  I know that doesn't work
very well with Tivoli's normal no-incremental mode, but it is an option.