[OpenAFS] vos moves can be slow, and we have some data

Andrew Cobaugh phalenor@gmail.com
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:09:39 -0400

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Dan Hyde<drh@umich.edu> wrote:

> We're running OpenAFS-1.4.11 on linux 2.6.30.2. =C2=A0The two machine roo=
ms
> are on opposite sides of town, 6 or 7 hops away, on what I believe is a
> 10GB network.

But what are the servers on?

> If anyone else is seeing the '... is older than ...' messages in their
> VolserLog's, we'd like to hear about it. =C2=A0If anyone has any ideas wh=
at
> may be causing this, we'd really like to hear that, too.

Those messages are just logging how long the transaction has been going.

You never mention how big said volume is, or how many files there are
in it. 28 minutes is nothing. I've seen some of our vos mov's take
over an hour, even for small-ish (<100GB) volumes moving just to a
different vicep on the same machine with 4Gb FC storage. I believe
volserver performance is affected by the number of files in the
volume, not just the size, though I'll leave it to someone else to
chime in as to the actual correlation between those numbers.

--andy