[OpenAFS] OpenAFS, Dreamweaver and VPN

Chaz Chandler clc31@inbox.com
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:38:22 -0800

We use OpenAFS over OpenVPN and have found that the afs client can be very =
unhappy with intermittent connections (say, from 'road warriors').  For =
Windows clients, this includes long timeouts and needing to restart the =
client service after the connection comes (back) up.  I don't have any =
mobile mac/unix clients, but could be similar.

What sort of strange behavior are you seeing, specifically?  Is the VPN a =
stable site-to-site thing or are you dealing with mobile users?  In one of =
our initial setups, we had trouble with MTU sizes for UDP traffic over a =
bridged VPN and resulting seemingly odd behavior of afs.  We fixed it by =
going to a routed setup.  Although the links are slow, it's been pretty =
stable.

-Chaz