[OpenAFS] The removal of afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe on Windows Vista and Windows 7: Seeking Opinions

David R Boldt dboldt@usgs.gov
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:02:40 -0400

--=_alternative 007E96438525764F_=

> It worries me that checking whether or not afsd_service.exe is running
> is one of the goals.  It implies that you have a high enough incident
> rate where it is not that we have a problem to address that I may not
> be aware of.

Determining whether or not AFS is actually running is always
one of our user support steps after confirming that other
more obvious things are not at fault.

Almost always a simple reinstallation of OpenAFS solves
the issue when the client is not starting. Reinstallation
ends up solving perhaps 5-10% of our "can't access my files"
issues.

                          -- David Boldt
                             <dboldt@usgs.gov>

   "If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
conclusion."
    --George Bernard Shaw

--=_alternative 007E96438525764F_=

is running<br>
&gt; is one of the goals. &nbsp;It implies that you have a high enough
incident<br>
&gt; rate where it is not that we have a problem to address that I may
not<br>
&gt; be aware of.</font></tt>
is always</font></tt>
other</font></tt>
my files&quot;</font></tt>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;-- David Boldt<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &lt;dboldt@usgs.gov&gt;<br>
 &nbsp; &quot;If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion.&quot;<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp;--George Bernard Shaw<br>
--=_alternative 007E96438525764F_=--