[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:43:03 -0500

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 07:33:07 -0500
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> > Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> >
> >> My one concern to switching to something like syslog by default is
> >> that "bos getlog" will need to be re-implemented in a different
> >> fashion.
> >
> > Yeah, this is a very good point. =A0I think I've used bos getlog
> > maybe three times in the past fifteen years, so I never think about
> > it, but I suspect others use it more than I do.
>=20
> bos salvage -showlog?

i think salvager output is one of those things that we might want to
handle with special cases.  if the salvager is run from the fileserver
i would expect the output to go to the syslog (if the fileserver is=20
logging to syslog).  if i run the salvager manually via bos, and bos
is logging to syslog, i would expect to see the salvager output but
not get it logged.   similar to the way fsck behaves on a system.
only the automated runs are logged.  ordinary runs come to the command
line.

bos getlog should probably just be dropped.