[OpenAFS] Serving AFS to Windows boxes w/o OpenAFS client (Samba)?

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:12:32 -0500

This Windows 7 thing has us looking for alternate temporary
solutions, as 7 is the only OS being pushed to new corporate
PCs and our OpenAFS from Windows usage is niche enough to
not warrant concern from corporate IT.  So, every few weeks
we get another user opening a support ticket with us about
their new PC and non-functioning OpenAFS.

What is the correct (or at least functioning) way to get
OpenAFS access from Windows using Samba?

We do not care about tying to any AD servers, etc.  It's
purely a UNIX/Linux shop from our end.

I see Samba has:

   --with-afs
        Include AFS clear-text auth support (default=no)

   --with-fake-kaserver
        Include AFS fake-kaserver support (default=no)

We don't currently run a fake-kaserver, as we have no need.

It's safe to say that any sort of clear-text auth via
whatever --with-afs does is unacceptable to us.

Any guidance would be most appreciated, and I'd be happy
to write up what works if I get to that point, assuming
there is nothing written up yet.

Jeff