[OpenAFS] Journal abort caused a problem

Steve Gaarder gaarder1@math.cornell.edu
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:43:21 -0500 (EST)

Early this morning, one of my AFS servers (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4,
Openafs 1.4.0) complained of an aborted ext3 journal on /vicepb (which is
an md-mirrored pair).  The system declared the filesystem to be read-only,
and AFS stopped serving the volumes on that partition.  I had to reboot,
fsck the partition, and salvage the volumes.  Does anyone have any idea
why this might have happened, and what can be done to prevent a
repetition?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
gaarder@math.cornell.edu