[OpenAFS] installing on CentOS

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:41:42 -0500

David Bear wrote:
> Every time I do an openafs install, it seems that I have to relearn how to
> do the client for the linux de jour that I am on. So I decided last time I
> installed on CentOS that I would write down what I learned.
>
> I wonder if there is a review process for these documents? I would really
> appreciate comments on accuracy, and currency (up to date-ness) of the
> document which can be viewed at
>
> http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhpk8h93_9f35v7qc4
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks! This looks good.

Ideally, we should include this in the quick start or admin guide, but
the wiki at
http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/CreatingANewCell is
probably a good place to keep those directions until they make it into
the documentation in git.

Using kmod's are fine, but dkms can be easier when upgrading kernels.

To use the dkms rpm, add the epel repo, remove the kmod's, and run
"sudo yum dkms openafs-dkms"

dkms automatically compiles the needed openafs kernel module when the
kernel is upgraded.

Sincerely,
Jason