[OpenAFS] installing on CentOS

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:47:17 -0500

David Bear wrote:
>> Ideally, we should include this in the quick start or admin guide, but the
>> wiki at http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/CreatingANewCell is
>> probably a good place to keep those directions until they make it into the
>> documentation in git.
>>
>> Using kmod's are fine, but dkms can be easier when upgrading kernels.
>>

> Well, using the kmod failed for me on 'this' machine. The rpm wanted an
> different kernel.. and when rpm failed to install the 'older' kernel version
> but got the kmod for openafs -- the module refused to load. So I thought
> going with dkms would be better -- but the story continues..
>
> To use the dkms rpm, add the epel repo, remove the kmod's, and run
>
>> "sudo yum dkms openafs-dkms"
>>

> Actually, I had to use
> sudo yum install dkms dkms-openafs
>
> Note the failure:
> sudo yum install openafs-dkms
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> No package openafs-dkms available.
> Nothing to do
>
> However, using the dkms-openafs package gives me a similar baffling message:
>
> sudo yum install dkms-openafs
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> ---> Package flex.x86_64 0:2.5.4a-41.fc6 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>

>> dkms automatically compiles the needed openafs kernel module when the
>> kernel is upgraded.
>>

> Running Transaction
>   Installing     :
> flex
> 1/2
>   Installing     :
> dkms-openafs
> 2/2
>
> Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/openafs/el5.1.1/source ->
>                  /usr/src/openafs-el5.1.1
>
> DKMS: add Completed.
>
> Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.18-164.el5 cannot be found at
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/build or /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/source.
> You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.
>
> Error! Could not locate openafs.ko for module openafs in the DKMS tree.
> You must run a dkms build for kernel 2.6.18-164.el5 (x86_64) first.
> error: %post(dkms-openafs-1.4.10-el5.1.1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit
> status 4
>
> Installed:
>   dkms-openafs.x86_64 0:1.4.10-el5.1.1
>
> Dependency Installed:
>   flex.x86_64 0:2.5.4a-41.fc6
>
> It seems there are too many dozens of ways for a linux openafs installation
> to go awry .

oops, sorry, You must have the kernel-headers installed. I don't think
kernel-source is needed, but I could be wrong.

My bad about the bad instructions. install the kernel headers, then
remove and reinstall the dkms-openafs rpm. you might be able to just
reboot or run some dkms command to trigger the kernel module compilation
instead of re-installing dkms-openafs.

You can try compiling your own kmod RPMs, but I can't recall the
invocation to build it.  Another problem is you'll have to deal with RPM
signatures (i.e. add your own, or tell yum to ignore them or trust your
key).

Jason